Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Miro at the Nasher Art Museum, Durham, NC

Today my art quilt bee made the short trip from Raleigh to the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University in Durham to see the special exhibit by Joan Miro.   I had viewed some of his paintings at the Art Institute of Chicago and was interested to see more of his work.  No photography was allowed, but the works on display are online here.  There was about an equal mix of paintings and sculpture.  This is the one that grabs your attention when you first enter the exhibit space (from the Nasher website).

Femme, oiseau, etoile by Joan Miro. (Woman, Bird, Star)

There was also a special exhibit from the collection of Robert Rauschenberg, on view until January 11, 2015.  Some of this art was quite edgy, but I really liked some of the large collages.  The online catalog is here.




We ate lunch at the museum cafe, and we all enjoyed the lovely and unusual selections.  I had a salad and splurged on an apple pie tart for dessert.

At the museum gift shop, there were many items with Miro artwork, including coffee cups, T-shirts, aprons, even baby bibs and sippy cups.  Since I was a member of the North Carolina Museum of Art, the Nasher waived my entry fee, and I bought myself a set of colored pencils in a Miro pencil case.



The pencils are a very cool sleek black.

                                                       

It was a nice day to spend with friends, enlarge our world views, enjoy beautiful things and good food.


No comments: