Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fleece-backed baby charity quilt


What a nice week we are having here in North Carolina, with a cool crisp hint of autumn in the air!
Maggy was full of energy and we walked way across the street to the new Heritage neighborhood. There are many new paved roads since my last walk through there. For awhile, new construction had halted due to the economy.


At home, my fall garden is shaping up with some nice purple beauty berries


and autumn joy sedum.




I have been quilting a lot of charity quilt tops for the Capital Quilters Guild in the past few months, mostly Quilts on Wheels for the rest home wheelchair-bound citizens. However, because this donated fabric has "Care Bears" on the print, it will go to the Quilts for Kids program. Sharon did not have any backing fabric for this one, so I used a piece of lavender fleece along with some regular batting.


The top really drew up during the quilting and looks kind of puffy. I quilted in clouds, hearts, four-leaf clovers, suns, and stars.

But, oh, the back! I love the sculptured look of quilted fleece. Don't bother using your expensive variegated thread...it won't show. The stitching sinks into the fleece.




I have one more charity quilt to do before picking up the next four, but the backing on it needs to be pieced. I am thinking more like taking a nap than hitting the sewing room!

1 comment:

indigopegasus said...

nice work!!