Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wednesday Works-in-Progress: Yellow Brick Road blocks

I have actually been piecing some "normal" quilt blocks this week! I have done very little bed-type quiltmaking lately. In fact, looking back at my blog, I made a quilt top in April for new grand-nephew Christopher, which is still not quilted. Other than that, the last quilt was part of the nursery for great-niece Ragen back in January. And now, a new great-niece is expected any day...little Lacy! Anyway, I got out one of my favorite patterns, Yellow Brick Road, and started pulling fabrics for some small quilts.

Here are some of the first ones. I still have some Flower Market fabric from at least twelve years ago, some coordinated fat quarters of cats, checks, polka dots and stripes, and some beautiful hummingbird fabric I decided to finally cut up.

Yellow Brick Road produces three different blocks, all made from either 61/2" strips or 31/2" strips cut from fat quarters. The best thing is that you can twist and turn the blocks so that you don't have to match any seams except for the block seams.

Block 1

Block 2

Block 3
After I made these, I had a lot of strips left over, so I pulled some more fabric and made another set. The yellow fabric is a gardening theme, with tools like shovels and trowels. This one may become a Wheelchair quilt. The Capital Quilters Guild provides lap quilts for Senior Citizens in rest homes, and one of my groups (CyberBee) is coordinating that project this year.


I have made quite a few Yellow Brick Road quilts, and they all look different when finished. Here are a few of them.

Hunting Season: browns, greens, deer fabric

Hunting Season 2: browns, golds, greens, wildlife and mountain foliage

Summer Treasures: much like the one on the pattern, with addition of green fabrics. I used hummingbird and dragonfly prints


Cat Napping: lavenders, blues, yellows, with cat fabrics


Carolina Lily: reds, greens, pinks, with orphan blocks and a center medallion


I really like this pattern!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i do love this pattern as it is so versatile. would you give exact measurements of each piece in each block because i would like my quilt to be as good looking as yours? thank you in advance, and your quilts are inspiring!

Anonymous said...

How is this a tutorial? There are no measurements provided so how can one complete this pattern?

Anonymous said...

I agree! Where’s the pattern to follow?!

Anonymous said...

This isn’t a free pattern, Atkinson Deaigns Yellow Brick Road pattern can be purchased on Amazon for $13.94 (I purchased it about 10 years ago) it’s on a lot of paid sites

Anonymous said...

It is well worth the price.