I made this quilt for my son Dave when he was a senior in high school. He graduated in 1999.
Then I "sutured" the backing and front edges together to have somewhat of a base to build my repairs on.
Okay, the hole in the backing is repaired and there is new batting under there.
Now for the front of the quilt. I decided to make some new patchwork squares big enough to cover the tear. My scrap basket came in handy. I made one new half-square triangle block, and one big quarter-square triangle block. I ironed the edges under a quarter inch.
I sewed the new half-square block on first. It is the pink flower/blue batik in the lower left corner.
Wouldn't you know it, while I was doing these repairs, I kept finding "popped seams," that had torn out because the edge of the patchwork had frayed.
These would have benefitted from new patches appliquéd over them as well. Instead, they got sutured to hold them together.
The final step was to do a little more machine quilting over the repaired area, which was bulging out rather noticeably. It was hard to stuff this big quilt under my sewing machine, so I just ran the machine around to make some stitches to hold things together.